Also known as Mother-in-law’s tongue, Viper’s bowstring hemp, snake plant, and Mother-in-law’s tongue, Sansevieria trifasciata is found all over the world. Because of their great looks and health properties, snake plants are popular houseplants. Snake plants are excellent air purifiers. They are also low maintenance and easy to grow. There are also many other benefits of snake plants. The list can be found below.
- It produces Oxygen
Harvard University published a study stating that during the nighttime, this plant absorbs carbon dioxide and releases oxygen. According to the research, Spider Plant is the most recommended plant for cleaning one’s indoor air, alongside Ficus and Poths. You can find the whole research here.
2. It has a nice ornamental effect
These plants are highly decorative and are one of the most popular benefits of snake plants. Elegantly and attractively designed, they are strikingly beautiful. These plants come with thick and tall foliage colored with shades of green, yellow, and grey stripes. Their extraordinary appearance made spider plants popular houseplants.
3. It purifies the air
One of the most effective plants for getting rid of air pollutants and air toxics is the spider plant. Spider plants make your indoor air fresher and cleaner by removing many dangerous toxins. The most dangerous toxins Spider plants are capable of removing are:
- Carbon Dioxide: It was found that people who are exposed to high levels of CO2 in their homes, workplaces, schools have difficulty achieving their daily activities such as studying and working. In other words, carbon dioxide levels have a direct effect on their cognitive skills and productivity. Growing a Snake plant is the best way to reduce CO2 levels in your house. Plants adapted to absorb carbon dioxide include snake plants. A single plant of this type is sufficient to reduce CO2 levels.
- One of the most dangerous toxins is benzene. The toxin Benzene is often found in heating and cooling systems, paints, solvents, tobacco smoke, etc. Many diseases such as Headaches, nausea and vomiting are also caused by it. Benzene has even been argued to be a cause of blood cells cancer by some researchers. NASA study shows the best way to get rid of benzene from the air is to grow a snake plant. One snake plant is capable of removing up to 52.6% of benzene from the air in one room.
- In our homes we are daily exposed to formaldehyde, one of the most toxic substances. The main causes of EMFs are cooking, smoking, cosmetics, paints, traffic, furniture, flooring and fuel combustion. Toxins such as formaldehyde cause many types of health problems, including eye, nose, and throat irritation. A heavy exposure to this toxin may cause throat and nose cancer. Find out more about the effects of this toxin by reading this article. So, if you want to remove this poison from the air you breathe inside, you should grow a snake plant. NASA found that a single snake plant can remove 31,294 micrograms of Formaldehyde in 24 hours.
- Despite being a lesser-known toxin, Xylene is a dangerous air pollutant that poses an unacceptable risk to human health. There are many things that can produce Xylene, including paint, varnish, rust preventives, paint thinners, pesticides, and paint thinners. It usually causes nose and throat irritation. Snake plants, along with mum and areca palm, are extremely effective in removing this toxin from the air.
- Trichloroethylene (TCE) can be found in printing inks, lacquers, paint removers, varnishes, and adhesives. TCE affects not only your physical health, but also your mental health. If you are exposed to this substance in large amounts, it can contribute to your cancer risk. An inconsequential exposure to TCE may lead to fatigue, headaches, and nausea. You should definitely avoid being exposed to it because it causes the nervous system to malfunction and necrosis. It is one of the worst toxins to get exposed to. Only 13% of this toxin can be eliminated by a single snake plant, due to the toxin’s toughness.
4. It removes Carbon dioxide
This is one of the most important benefits of Snake Plants. Besides releasing oxygen at nighttime, it also absorbs carbon dioxide during both daytime and nighttime. They perform a particular type of photosynthesis that involves the absorption of CO2. Snake plants have Crassulacean Acid Metabolism.
5. It reduces allergies
The chances of airborne allergies are reduced by any plant able to release Oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide. Air purifiers and air filters do not have the same level of efficacy as snake plants. Moreover, snake plants are attractive and decorative. By growing snake plants, you hit two birds with one stone. You will beautify your house and decrease the chances of airborne allergies.
6. Produces positive vibes
Snake plants provide positive and protective energies when it comes to Feng Shui. If you want to positively influence your surroundings, you should definitely grow snake plants. Snake plants are believed to provide protection and purifying energy for houses and offices.
7. It is low maintenance
Because of this, snake plants are one of the most popular houseplants. Because of its strong nature, this plant grows and thrives in any conditions. It can be grown in full sun, shade, moist area, etc. In other words, it is almost impossible to kill this plant. It is one of the easiest house plants to grow.
These are the best benefits of snake plants. Growing snake plants will allow you to appreciate all these benefits. Having a snake plant around your home is highly recommended. It is an amazing plant you will enjoy having around your home.
There are still many recent and interesting articles about Snake Plants..
..as well as other unique information from All Things Gardener..
For further information and other inquiries..
..you can contact us here