Find Out About Sansevieria
This highly tolerant and low-maintenance house plant is native to the tropical and sub-tropical lands of Africa, Madagascar, and Southern Asia. Mother-in-tongue law’s is a drought-tolerant plant that grows from 8 inches to 5 feet tall and can endure low light levels. Its succulent leaves are thick, long, and rigid, and grow vertically, resembling an upright sword. The flowers of Sansevieria are typically greenish-white, but some species include reddish-lilac or rose-colored variants. The blooming stems do not generate new leaves, but the plantlets can continue to grow thanks to the rhizomes and stolons.
More And More
This plant stands out among common house plants like the jade plant, peace lily, arrowhead, and weeping fig because of its dark green leaves with yellow, white, or gray stripes. The Mother-in-Tongue Law’s Plant is a decorative indoor plant that adds to the greenery of contemporary interiors and, as an added bonus, removes pollutants from the air we breathe.
Are Sansevierias Toxic Plants?
So, are sansevierias toxic plants? Sansevierias are deadly houseplants for cats and dogs, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, even if they have low or no toxicity in humans (ASPCA). Saponins are natural pesticides and fungicides found in the plant. When consumed, these saponins are hazardous to living things and produce gastrointestinal symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea in humans and animals. Furthermore, the plant’s fluids produce dermatitis, a type of skin rash or irritation. Chewing or eating any part of these plants can cause a severe allergic reaction in people and animals, resulting in swelling of the tissues in the mouth cavity and esophagus.
Sansevierias Toxic Parts
Saponin Toxins can be found throughout the plant. As a result, all components of the sansevierias, including the stiff, upright leaves, little white scented flowers, the long stem, and the infrequent berries, should be avoided by pets and babies due to their toxicity.
The Symptoms When Poisoned
Remember, sansevierias toxic are fact. The plant is inedible, with a harsh flavor and a burning sensation non the mouth, and most animals avoid it. Dogs and cats, on the other hand, are curious pets who may be interested in sampling the plant. Small toddlers and animals will begin to show several common symptoms after ingesting plant material and sap, such as:
- Lips, tongue, and mouth are swollen.
- Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea are common side effects.
- Pain in the abdomen
- Appetite loss.
As salivation grows, you may notice your pet drooling excessively. The poison’s foaming activity has an adverse effect on the gastrointestinal tract, causing blood cells to rupture and die.
Tips To Protect Yourself
Although touching the snake plant is safe because the toxins only affect you when you eat them, the juice from the leaves might cause skin discomfort. When repotting or touching the plant, it’s best to use gloves. Because the Mother-in-Tongue Law’s is such a popular indoor plant, it’s best to keep it out of reach of small children and pets, preferably on a high shelf. Remove any bitten leaves from your pet’s mouth and visit a veterinarian right away if they have taken a bite from the plant. It is recommended that you contact Animal Poison Control Center in the event of any poisoning emergency in animals, or if you are unsure about the symptoms.
And To Remind
If the child or cat has consumed a substantial amount of harmful plant material, treatment may include mouth washing, causing vomiting, or pumping the stomach to empty its contents.