Are snake plants toxic? Pets such as cats and dogs can be poisoned by snake plants if they ingest them. They would experience gastrointestinal symptoms like nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting after ingesting them. Their consumption of large quantities of these could even be fatal for them.
Humans may find it mildly toxic or nontoxic. Nevertheless, it’s better to keep these plants away from children, especially. Additionally, if by chance both your humans and pets chew the snake plants and ingest them, severe allergic reactions may result. As a result, either your oral cavity or esophagus will swell. Further, there may be severe consequences, including dermatitis – a skin irritation. But now the question is: which part of the plant is toxic?
Which Part Of The Plant Is Toxic?
The snake plant, commonly known as mother of tongue, is endemic to Asia and Africa. The leaves are evergreen and tend to grow straight and sword-shaped. Due to their unique beauty and ease of maintenance, they are very popular among gardeners. In addition, it is sometimes used as a medicinal plant.
Considering the toxicity of the snake plant, you could view the entire plant as toxic. Saponin is a toxin that is present in the whole plant. Additionally, it might contain organic acids. Hence, you need to deal with it with vigilance. Snake plants contain saponins in their leaves as well as in their stems. In addition, snake plant flowers can be poisonous as well. Additionally, they produce berries very rarely, which are potentially harmful. The fruits should not be eaten.
Why Snake Plant Is Toxic?
As previously stated, saponin is the organic component that causes snake plant toxicity. Normally, saponin acts as a natural insecticide and fungicide. Moreover, it prevents the plant from being infected by microbes. The bitter taste of the snake plant is caused by saponin. Despite its ability to protect plants against insects and fungi, this chemical may harm humans and domestic animals if, by accident, they consume it.
Are snake plants toxic? Well, apart from that, skin irritations may also be affected by the plant juice. Dermatitis is the correct term for this condition. People with this condition can even get skin rashes as a result of this condition. The repercussions of ingesting huge quantities of this substance include severe skin irritation, swelling of oral cavity tissues, and even esophageal swell.
Animal Affected By Toxic Snake Plant
There is a possibility that snake plants might adversely affect your furry domestic friends, such as cats and dogs.
Is Snake Plant Toxic To Touch?
Snake plants are safe to touch, and it is perfectly safe. You can only be affected by saponin if you ingest it. Even so, once the sap gets in contact with your skin, it may cause irritation. Therefore, it’s best to protect yourself from this plant before you handle it. It would be best to wear gloves when working with the plants.
It is generally safe to grow snake plants. It is possible, however, that domestic pets like cats and dogs could ingest the poison. They would experience gastrointestinal symptoms like nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting after ingesting them. Moreover, if they consume them in large quantities, they could even die.
Symptoms Of Snake Plant Poisoning
Now that you know the answer to are snake plants toxic, then you have to know how to tell if your pets accidentally eat the plant. Ingesting a snake plant may result in certain symptoms, including vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, depression, abdominal pain and discomfort, excessive drooling, eating less, swelling of the tongue, lips, throat, etc., or laziness. For medical advice, you should however consult your vet.