Plants, such as snake plants, usually add both color and brightness to rooms and offices. This is mainly because they have a natural appearance that is colorful and a clean shape. When it is inside, it is nice to have, but if a dog decides to ingest a piece, the dog can develop mild symptoms of toxicity.
These symptoms are relatively easy to treat. If a more serious side effect occurs, such as ruptured red blood cells, immediate veterinary care is recommended. If you seek medical care as soon as possible, your dog’s prognosis is good for recovery.
Symptoms of Snake Plant Poisoning in Dogs
Your dog will present different symptoms depending on how much he ingested. Symptoms include:
- Excessive drooling
- Abdominal pain or discomfort
- Loss of appetite
- Swelling of organs
- Ruptured red blood cells
Symptoms may seem mild, but you should seek veterinary care if your dog exhibits any of these.
Why can a Dog got Snake Plant Poisoning?
Saponin Toxins are found in the entire plant. Hence, all parts of the snake plant should be avoided by pets and babies due to their toxic nature, including the stiff, upright leaves, little white fragrant flowers, the long stem, and the occasional berries.
Ingestion of the snake plant’s saponin can result in a host of negative effects, including red blood cell rupture. The gastrointestinal toxin can cause severe indigestion and diarrhea. As a result of their foaming action, saponins can upset the intestinal tract and disrupt normal cell pathways, causing cell death.
How to Diagnose Snake Plant Poisoning in Dogs?
The veterinarian will begin the physical exam by assessing your dog’s symptoms and observing all vital signs as soon as possible when you arrive at his office. Any vomit your dog may throw up will be examined by the veterinarian to see what he ingested.
A stool sample and tests may be taken when your dog is experiencing diarrhea in order to rule out the possibility of other causes. The presence of excessive intestinal bacteria or internal parasites are just two examples of what your veterinarian will want to rule out.
The veterinarian will perform a blood test to determine how the internal organs are functioning as well as if there are any complications developing. In order to provide the veterinarian with necessary information for proper assessment, a complete blood count (CBC) and chemistry panel are required. If your veterinarian feels that it is necessary, she will also perform a packed cell volume (PCV) test to determine hydration status.
She may also perform a urinalysis to further evaluate kidney function. You should bring a portion of the plant with you when you go to the veterinarian so that the vet can identify which toxins are causing your dog’s symptoms.
Treatment of Snake Plant Poisoning in Dogs
Dogs experiencing snake plant toxicity will have their treatment plan determined based upon the symptoms they are experiencing. If your dog is not vomiting or has not vomited since ingesting the plant, the veterinarian may induce vomiting in order to rid the stomach of any remaining plant pieces. It may be necessary for her to administer activated charcoal to absorb any remaining toxins before they are absorbed by the body.
In the case that your dog is vomiting and having diarrhea, fluid therapy will be initiated. As fluids help neutralize dehydration the dog is experiencing, it can prevent further dehydration. As soon as possible, such a procedure will ensure toxin removal from your body.
Additional therapeutic medications may be administered as the veterinarian deems appropriate. If your dog continues to vomit, the veterinarian may administer an antiemetic. Medications to protect the lining of your dog’s stomach and intestines can be administered if he is experiencing gastrointestinal upset. Other therapies will be administered as necessary to treat your dog’s symptoms.
Depending on how many snakes your dog consumed, the level of toxicity in your dog may be mild to moderate. If he vomited what he swallowed, the chances of recovery is good. He is less likely to recover completely if he consumes large amounts or if he does not get veterinary care in a timely manner. Your veterinarian may prescribe a bland diet for the next few days so as to give his stomach time to return to normal after the event.