Having snake plants around the house is a lovely thing, and the plant rarely causes any issues.
The plants will thrive even if you leave them alone for long periods without any maintenance.
Snake plants sometimes curl their leaves.
Curling and twisting might occur among the leaves.
There are other symptoms of weakness that snake plants may display, as well.
As a result, you snake plant’s chances of survival are very slim.
Thrips are the leading cause of this phenomenon.
What Are Thrips & How Do They Affect Snake Plant?
Snake plants are eaten by tiny black insects known as Trips. These thin insects are usually known as Thysanoptera, or thunderflies, and they attack the cells of plants to cause complete damage. Snake plant afflictions such as trichomoniasis are common. A snake plant’s leaves usually stand straight and will not curl up as a result of this infestation. Thrips feed on plants, so their feeding behavior can help you identify them. Plant leaves and buds will be covered in small, black spots left by these bugs. A magnifying glass can help you identify thrips if you have difficulty seeing them with the naked eye. Hold a white piece of paper or sheet under the plant leaves to feel if there is an infestation. If there are thrips on the plant, tiny black bugs will fall onto the paper.
What to Do if Your Snake Plant Has Thrips?
Take immediate action if you suspect a Snake plant infestation with tiny bugs called thrips.
Here are the steps you should take to get rid of thrips:
- Remove any leaves that have black bugs on them. Getting rid of these leaves might be difficult because they’ve probably already died or are dying. In any case, if you feel the leaves are fairly normal, there is no need to remove them.
- After the leaves are removed, place them far away from any other plant as there is a chance they could infect other plants.
- To ensure no black specks remain on the leaves, wipe them down with a clean cotton pad or ball.
You should dispose of the entire plant if it has been infested completely, as cross-contamination may occur if it is in contact with other plants in your home.
Insecticides to Get Rid Of Thrips on Snake Plants
Snake plant bugs can be removed with a variety of products.
Miticides based on plants contain naturally derived ingredients that do not damage the plant and kill bugs effectively
The following are some of the miticides you can use:
- Pyrethrum: This substance belongs to the family of chrysanthemum and directly affects the nervous system of the bugs.ous system of the bugs.
- Cinnamate: This pesticide has been derived from cinnamon oil and can effectively kill bugs. To get rid of the bugs completely, spray this pesticide on the plant every three days for a few weeks.
- Insect repellent: Neem oil is a great insect repellant. You need to apply the oil regularly until you don’t see any bugs on the plant.
- Rosemary oil is non-toxic to plants and humans, and can kill pests on plants. Spray this oil all over the plant after diluting it with water.
You do not need to use expensive oils or miticides if you do not have them on hand.
Snake plants can still be saved by using the chemicals you use every day.
- You can spray this over plants by mixing rubbing alcohol with water in a 1:1 ratio. Clean the leaves once you have sprayed the solution.
- Use dish soap solution to remove insects from your plants. It is cheap and effective.
How Can Snake Plants Be Grown Indoors?
Even if this is your first houseplant, it’s fairly easy to grow Snake plants indoors.
You should follow these steps when planting the snake plant:
- Select a large pot or container that has a drainage hole on the bottom. Snake plants are best placed in terra cotta pots, because the pots have natural drying properties that ensure fast soil drying.
- The Snake plant also requires a potting mix with a good drainage system. Snake plants can also be grown in a potting mix suitable for cacti and succulents. With this potting mix, the plant will not become oversaturated with water.
- It is ideal to plant snake plants at the same depth they were planted the first time they were potted.
- Snake plants must also be planted in the right place. Plants need good lighting to grow properly. The plant is also suitable for shady areas, but it may grow slower than usual. You should choose a location where the Snake plant will thrive, such as a brightly lit space near a window. Even in shady areas of the house, snake plants can grow well. Plants need to be kept in a warm place with temperatures above 50 degrees Celsius. Snake plants should also be protected from cold winds.
More Related Articles for You!
Gardening is how I relax!
It’s another form of creating and playing with colors🌱
My mission is to make people realize that even by growing a plant...
....it will make them believe in tomorrow🌸
And that’s life most valuable moment!😍