How do wood chippers work? Wood chippers can be dangerous. They’re a metal contraption that sucks up tree branches and other materials. Then, they turn them into a fine powder or mulch to help your garden grow. Chipping is also how these machines are used in the construction industry. The work of a wood chipper may sound easy, but it requires serious technical expertise. Read this article until end to know more about how do wood chippers work. In this blog, we also have an article about gas powered commercial wood chipper that you might want to read about it.
A tree chipper or woodchipper is a machine used for reducing wood into smaller woodchips.”wikipedia.org
What is wood chipper
A wood chipper is a machine that is used to process wood into wood chips. These chips are then used as fuel for wood-burning stoves, fireplaces, and other heat sources. The machine is usually powered by an electric motor and can be easily set up in your yard.
Chipping machines can have many different configurations depending on their size and intended use. Some smaller models will only allow you to choose the type of wood that they should work with while larger units will allow you to select the type of wood based on its diameter or thickness. There are also some machines that require no assembly required and just need to be plugged in and turned on.
A chipper is a large power tool that you use outside to greatly reduce the amount of debris you have in your yard and make disposal much easier.Tom, author from woodchippy.com
How Do Wood Chippers Work
- The engine generates power by turning the crankshaft. (I won’t go into detail about how the engine works; that’s a subject for another day!)
- The crankshaft is connected to the clutch, which may move or stop the drive belt. The clutch contacts the drive belt, causing it to revolve, when the engine is running at or above 1,600 rpm.
- The driving belt rotates the impeller, which incorporates a chipper knife.
- When wood enters the hopper, it collides with the rotating impeller and chipper knife, shredding it into small woodchips.
- The woodchips are pushed out the discharge chute by fins on the rear of the impeller and airflow from the vents.
Consideration before buying wood chipper
In the recent times, people are more concerned about the environment and recycling. The price of wood is also rising and it is essential to use the wood in a way that it can be recycled. Wood chipper is one of the efficient machines that can be used for recycling the waste wood. If you want to buy a wood chipper, then consider some factors before buying one. Here are the list of it:
- Size – Based on the model, there are several sizes available in the market. You must know about the requirements of the space where you want to install this machine. For example, if you would like to put the unit near to your home, then you can easily buy the small chipper which can handle small sized logs. However, if you want to place this unit at a distance from your house, then it’s better if you go for the large model.
- Fuel Consumption – When you buy a wood chipper machine, make sure that it has enough power to run properly. Moreover, you should consider the fuel consumption of the machine because this factor will decide how much money you spend on purchasing this appliance. If you don’t have sufficient information regarding the consumption of fuel, you can visit the manufacturer’s website or contact them directly.
- Consumable Parts – It is recommended that you always check out the consumable parts of the machine. Make sure that all these components are working properly. This may include blades, blower, electric motor, etc. Once any of these parts stops functioning well, you won’t be able to use the machine. Before you purchase any machine, ensure that it comes with a warranty period so that you can get back the money if anything goes wrong.
- Maintenance Cost – A good maintenance cost implies that you will not have to pay too much amount of money for servicing the equipment. Also, you must remember that a high-quality machine will result less maintenance costs. So, when you are deciding whether to buy a new wood chip chipper or not, you should think twice about the service.
- Noise Level – Since this device works with electricity, it creates noise while operating. Depending upon the design of the machine, this noise level is loud or soft. In case that you want to listen to music along with using the wood chipper, then you should go for the quiet option. On the contrary, if you are worried about the neighbors, then you should opt for the noisy version.