How does lawn mower engine work? Lawn mower engines are mostly driven by the user’s foot. But this is not how lawn mower engines have been made for decades now. Here’s how they work and what makes them work as well as they do. Read this article until end to know the answer from the question before. In this blog, we also have an article about budget commercial lawn mower that you might want to read about it.
A lawn mower is a machine utilizing one or more revolving blades to cut a grass surface to an even height.”Wikipedia.org
What Is Lawn Mower
Lawn mower is a machine used to cut grass. It consists of blade, motor, belt and handle. It cuts the grass by cutting the blades of grass with the help of motor and then moves them to another place. There are two types of lawn mowers, push mower and self-propelled mower. Push mower is operated by pushing the mower with your foot or hand and self-propelled mower is operated by its own engine. Lawnmower engine also known as small petrol engines.
Taking care of a lawn is no easy feat — it requires you to get your hands dirty, and it often involves heavy machinery that can be exacting to maneuver.”nbcnews.com
How Does Lawn Mower Engine Work
So, how does lawn mower engine work:
- Consider your lawn mower to be a vehicle, with a whirling blade on the bottom that cuts the grass as you “drive” across your yard. That’s really all it is, but on a much smaller and more controllable size, which is why they’re ideal for inexperienced fixers.
- The rope you must pull 10 times to start the mower manually turns the engine, forcing it to take in air and gasoline. This is accomplished via the use of a carburetor, which is responsible for combining the proper quantity of air and gasoline before it reaches the engine.
- This combination is ignited by a spark plug, which is powered by a flywheel that revolves with the engine. Magnets connected to the flywheel rotate as it spins, creating a magnetic field that creates energy and delivers voltage to the spark plug. The flywheel also functions as a cooling fan (through fins connected to it) as a shock absorber (when the blade hits a rock or tree roots). It also supplies motion to the engine, allowing it to rotate between combustion cycles.
- The controlled explosion caused by the ignition of the air and fuel combination pulls a piston down and turns a crankshaft. It’s comparable to your car’s engine, but much smaller. (A normal walk-behind mower engine is about 150 cubic centimeters in capacity, but the engine of a small automobile is more than 10 times that.) The rotation of the engine of an automobile is transmitted to the wheels. On a lawn mower, however, the rotation is immediately transmitted to the cutting blade.
- The engine is the most crucial component on a lawn mower, and it must be handled as such with routine maintenance such as oil changes and spark plug and air filter replacements. And with appropriate care, such as adding stabilizer to the gasoline and never letting the fuel stay in the engine for more than a few months—old gas may degrade within the carburetor and clog it up in no time.
Benefits of using lawn mower
Lawn mower is one of the most used tools in the house. It helps in cutting the grass in a proper manner and at a faster pace. There are many benefits of using lawn mower, which include:
- The grass can be cut within minutes instead of hours.
- No need to get out from home to cut the grass. You just have to turn on the ignition switch.
- Mowed grass keeps the garden clean and neat.
- You don’t have to spend money while purchasing new grass.
- You don’ t have to worry about the weeds growing up because they are already cut by the mower.
- Maintaining the grass is easy now. You won’t have to water the lawn frequently.
- It reduces the amount of time required to keep the garden clean.
Consideration Before Buying Lawn Mower
Lawn mower can be used for cutting grass and weed, it is a very useful machine. There are many types of lawn mowers available in the market, you can choose the best one according to your requirement. You can use the lawn mower to cut grass, remove weeds and even edge your lawn. Here are some consideration before buying lawn mower:
- Size: When selecting a lawn mower, first check the size and weight. If buying a new mower, ensure that the handle fits comfortably into your hands. Also make sure that you can easily lift the front wheels off the ground when pulling the mower. Avoid mowers that weigh more than 10 kgs.
- Type: Choose the perfect type of lawn mower according to your needs. Make sure that you buy the right model according to your requirements. For example, if you are looking for an electric mower, then go for an electric lawn mower. This will save your electricity bill as well.
- Price: Determine the price of lawn mower based on the features that you want in a lawn mower. You should not compromise on quality merely for the sake of saving money. Always compare prices of different models to find the best value for money.
- Features: Consider all the important features of a particular product. Look at the mower handle, wheel diameter, tread width, blade length etc. Selecting a large lawn mower might seem like a good idea but make sure that it is heavy enough to support its load. Remember that the longer the blade, the less likely it is to run smoothly. A wide grass catcher is essential so that you can collect the grass easily after mowing. Avoid purchasing a mower that has sharp edges on its body. The handles must fit properly in your arms so that you can move the mower easily without straining yourself.
- Warranty: Before purchasing any mower, check whether it comes with warranty. Most manufacturers provide 2 years free repair service. Check the guarantee certificate.
- Maintenance: Keep the lawn mower cleaned regularly. Remove the dirt that accumulates over the blade to prevent rusting and corrosion. Clean the blades regularly so that they remain effective. To avoid rusting and corrosion, take care of the mower cover as it should be kept away from direct sunlight.