How long do snow blowers last? Even with the best snow blowers, their life cycle is limited by factors like age, the amount of use they receive, and even how well you maintain them. In this blog, we also have an article about best greenworks snow blowers on amazon that you might want to read about it.
A snow blower or snow thrower is a machine for removing snow from an area where it is problematic, such as a driveway, sidewalk, roadway, railroad track, ice rink, or runway.”Wikipedia.org
What is snow blower
Snow blower is a machine that makes the task of clearing snow simple and easy. It is also an excellent way to clear the road from snow. It is a machine that is used to clear snow from the road in a very quick and effective manner. It has an efficient drive system and can be operated with a single lever. It can also be operated with a remote control. In fact some snow blowers are so efficient that they are able to clear the snow in one pass!
Snow blowers — or snow throwers — provide fast, efficient snow removal and are a time- and labor-saving alternative to shoveling.Marc M, author from Lowes.com
How Long Do Snow Blowers Last?
So, how long do snow blowers last? Single-stage snow blowers typically last about 10 years, but high-quality two- or three-stage models can last up to 25 years if properly maintained, cleaned, and stored. Maintaining a high-quality snowblower means following the manufacturer’s recommendations in your owner’s manual, which include draining gas, changing sparkplugs, and replacing sparkplugs as recommended.
Types of Snow Blowers
There are various types of snow blowers available in the market; they include:
- Hand Held – These snow blowers are lightweight and compact. They are good for light duty. Most of these hand held snow blowers have two forward speeds . Some models have a variable speed adjustment while others come with a self-adjusting mechanism.
- Self Propelled – This type of snow blower works on the principle of traction. The vehicle uses metal spikes to grip the ground rather than wheels. Although this method of traction helps it to move smoothly, over time the spikes become worn out. However, this approach gives more power as compared to wheeled vehicles.
- Track Type – This type of snowblower consists mainly of a frame made up of steel bars and tracks. Tracks are attached at both ends of the frame and are covered by treads. A motor is mounted on top of the frame. The track is driven by the motor through gears and sprockets.
- Rotary Deck – This type of snow thrower is not really a type of snow blower but it is a special kind of snow plow. It can be used either singly or together with a snow blower. Rotary deck plows are useful for large areas.
- Push Plow – Many people might think that a rotary deck plow does all the work while a push plow just pushes snow aside. While this is partially true, a push plow tends to cut into the surface of the ground making it easier for snow to build up on the blade. Once again, this problem could be overcome if there were additional blades.
- Wheeled – This type of snow plow is designed like a lawn mower. Its size varies depending upon its payload capacity. It usually comes equipped with rubber tires.
- Electric – This type of snowplow features a rechargeable battery pack which powers electric motors to aid the operator. One advantage of these snowplows is that they do not need gasoline. Another benefit is that they are lighter and smaller than gas powered ones.
Benefits of snow blowers
Snow blowers are an important tool for clearing snow from driveways, walkways, sidewalks, and patios. They are also useful for clearing debris from around your home. Here are the breakdown of the benefits having snow blower:
- Safety – If you are using a snow blower indoors, you will want to make sure that the area where you intend to use it has adequate ventilation to allow warm air to escape. You should also check that the room is clearly visible so that anybody passing by can see you working. Using the right precautions ensures that nobody gets hurt when operating a snow blower.
- Efficiency – Snow blowers are an effective way to clear snow away from steps, patios, decks, etc. because they reduce the amount of effort needed to remove snow. In fact, some snow blowers can be operated without the user touching them.
- Precision – When using a snow blower, you must ensure that it moves the snow off the driveway or sidewalk evenly. An uneven distribution of snow makes it harder for pedestrians or cars to negotiate slippery surfaces.
- Longevity – Over time, snow blowers wear down and eventually break apart. Replacing worn parts such as belts and filters can extend their life significantly. If you invest in a reliable snow blower, you won’t have to worry about buying new equipment every year.
- Cost effectiveness – Snow blowers are relatively inexpensive compared to other types of machinery. For example, most snow blowers cost between $100-$300. However, this doesn’t mean that you can afford to purchase one. Before deciding whether or not to buy a snow blower, evaluate how much money you would have to set aside each month to cover the annual maintenance costs. Also compare the price of a snow blower with the value of an alternative, such as shoveling snow manually.