Do you know how to use a manual log splitter? What is a log splitter? It is one of the most used outdoor tools by the folks who love to do outdoor activities. It’s being used for splitting wood, cutting firewood, and splitting logs for campfires and barbecue. But what if you are a beginner who does not know how to use a manual log splitter? Don’t worry! Here are some tips that will help you make your life easier. In this blog, we also have an article about best electric log splitters on amazon that you might want to read about it.
A log splitter is a piece of machinery or equipment used for splitting firewood from softwood or hardwood logs that have been pre-cut into sections, usually by chainsaw or on a saw bench.”Wikipedia.org
What is log Splitter
Log Splitter is an electrical machine that separates logs into two or more pieces by splitting the log in half lengthwise. It works on an old fashioned principle. The log gets dropped into a vice and then one side of the cut log is swung down towards a block which splits it into two parts. Once split, each part can be further broken into smaller pieces. They can also be stacked up to keep them safe from nature. Log Splitter helps people who have no other option but chopping logs with their hands.
Log splitters process firewood quickly, saving your back and time. Log splitters also allow you to cut logs of a similar size making stacking woodpiles and burning far more efficient.”SXM.com.au
How To Use A Manual Log Splitter
- This first step is applicable to both you and the machine. Before turning on the splitter, make that you have all necessary safety equipment, including long trousers, heavy-duty gloves, protective glasses, and closed-toe boots/shoes.
- It is critical to remove any jewelry before to beginning. Watches and jewelry may get entangled in the machine. The same holds true for every item of loose apparel. Eye protection, such as goggles, is critical because wood chips often fly off the logs while splitting.
- After preparing yourself, it’s time to set up the splitter. Choose an uncluttered space devoid of garden equipment or other items. Ascertain that the wood you want to split is handy, but not in such a way that you will easily trip over it.
- Arrange the splitter on a flat surface. While a concrete surface is preferable because to its consistency, it is still safe to put it up on grass as long as it is level. Additionally, the splitter should be robust enough to avoid tipping over as you feed logs into it.
- Once the splitter is in place, you might consider surrounding its wheels with cinder blocks or bricks to prevent it from rolling once the wedge begins to move.
- Before you begin using a manual splitter, it is critical to check that the jack is secure. After inserting the log into the jack, tighten the screw. This will guarantee that the log does not move throughout the process of positioning the cylinder with the wedge. If this section is missing, the log will either fall out or will split in half.
- Once the log is fastened, run the machine by hand or foot pedal to insert the wedge. Continue operating the machine until the log is completely divided. Before you begin separating, ensure that your hands are out of the way.
- If you want to remove the log, return the cylinder to its initial position. Remove the parts by loosening the screw on the jack. This procedure may now be done for the remaining logs.
Benefits of Log Splitter
- It saves your energy, time, and muscle power. You don’t need to spend hours working hard just to split a few cords of wood or even a single piece of firewood. With the log splitter, you can simply take it outside, drop the logs inside, and let it do the rest. This tool works much faster than the traditional methods of using axes or saws.
- It is safer for you. You won’t find itchy blades or sharp edges when using the machine. Also, there is less likelihood of getting injured by falling branches or limbs.
- It reduces noise pollution. Yes, you read right. When you use the log splitter, there will be no sounds similar to those made by chainsaws.
- It has great durability. A well-maintained manual splitter can last for years without significant repairs.
- It requires minimum maintenance. You only need to oil the machine periodically, which takes mere minutes. However, it comes with a warranty. In case something goes wrong, you can always call for professional service.
- You can choose your desired size of the log.