Regardless of where you live, but especially in an apartment without outdoor space, living indoors amid greenery often determines whether that space feels homey or hostile. The benefits of houseplants go beyond being an eye-candy, they can also be beneficial to the body.
Compared to outdoor air, indoor air has a greater level of pollution because of the confinement. You can purify your indoor air by growing indoor plants, which capture harmful pollutants and airborne chemicals, which aggravate allergies and may even make you ill. Indoor air pollutants can be removed very efficiently by plants such as English ivy, aloe vera, and snake plants. However, there are hidden dangers behind these lovely plants.
5 Poisonous Houseplants To Avoid
However, if you, your children, or your pets eat these poisonous houseplants, they could make you sick or even kill you. Children and pets, both of whom put things in their mouths frequently, are especially at risk when it comes to indoor plants that are poisonous.
1. Snake Plant
Oh, we love snake plants! The snake plant is one of the most popular indoor plants because it grows tall, thrives in a wide range of conditions, does not require a green thumb to maintain, and is an excellent air purifier. These plants are particularly effective in reducing formaldehyde (produced by household items such as particleboard and plastics). Since they absorb air pollution at night and release oxygen during the day, unlike most plants, they make an excellent bedside plant. Snake plants are considered good luck plants by many cultures. However, to dogs, cats and rabbits, it can cause excessive salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, and pain when eaten.
2. Aloe Vera
In addition to clearing the air of formaldehyde and benzene, which come from household cleaners and certain plastics, aloe is a popular houseplant. For centuries, people have used the aloe juice to heal wounds and burns and as a digestive aid. However, the outer skin of the aloe plant is mildly toxic and can irritate the skin as well as the guts. It won’t kill your pet, but it might make her feel queasy.
This beautiful yellow plant is a beloved plant, especially because it blooms in the spring, when the long winter has ended. Sadly, it is one of the most poisonous houseplants. Despite their appearance, however, they have a high level of toxicity. It is possible to experience severe stomach problems by ingesting the daffodil, including nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Moreover, they can raise blood pressure, trigger irregular heartbeats, and even lead to death.
Among the most beautiful flowers on the planet, lilies are also one of the most hazardous. Although many lilies are toxic, Easter lilies, tiger lilies, day lilies, calla lilies, and Asian lilies are among them. Children are particularly at risk of being negatively affected by the calla lily, as they are likely to suffer stomach upset, vomiting, skin irritation, and headaches. The toxicity of lilies is particularly severe in cats. In addition to lethargy and vomiting, appetite loss is also a symptom. It is possible that the kidneys and liver will fail, as well as death if treatment is not obtained immediately.
5. Peace Lily
Even though it is called a peace lily, it is not a member of the lily family. Peace lilies are easy to grow, can tolerate low light, and are terrific for removing formaldehyde, benzene, and trichloroethylene from indoor air. Sadly, as one of the poisonous houseplants, they are also very toxic and can cause, in humans, swollen lips, mouths, and tongues, vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty swallowing. In addition to dehydration and renal failure, pets can die from dehydration and kidney failure.