Sansevieria trifasciata is the botanical name for the most common species.
This highly tolerant and low-maintenance house plant is native to the tropical..
..and sub-tropical lands of Africa, Madagascar, and Southern Asia.
The only bad thing about snake plant is how poisonous snake plant is.
Mother-in-tongue law’s is a drought-tolerant plant that grows from 8 inches to 5 feet tall..
..and can endure low light levels.
Its succulent leaves are thick, long, and rigid, and grow vertically, resembling an upright sword.
The flowers of Sansevieria are typically greenish-white..
..but some species include reddish-lilac or rose-colored variants.
Before we start..
Hear it from Jessie!
I’ve been collecting succulents as a hobby for several months now…
And I put them outside my house, since I have pets inside…
I am afraid that my pets will chew on them and got poisoned…
… because I don’t know whether they are safe for my pets or not.
Nonetheless, I love having succulents for their easy care and appealing looks!
And I just hope they are safe around indoors so I can enjoy my plant babies and pet babies together…
Check this out!
How Poisonous Snake Plant Is
Snake plants are deadly houseplants for cats and dogs..
..according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals..
..even if they have low or no toxicity in humans (ASPCA).
Saponins are natural pesticides and fungicides found in the plant.
When consumed, these saponins are hazardous to living things..
..and produce gastrointestinal symptoms such vomiting and diarrhea in humans and animals.
Furthermore, the plant’s fluids produce dermatitis, a type of skin rash or irritation.
People and animals who chew or ingest any part of these plants are at risk of developing an allergic reaction..
..resulting in swelling in the oral cavity and esophagus.
It is even possible for your pet to die if he consumes the plant in an excessive amount.
The Part Of Poisonous Snake Plant
Throughout the plant, Saponin Toxins are present.
Pets and babies should therefore avoid all parts of the snake plant due to their toxic nature..
..including the stiff, upright leaves, the little white flowers, the long stem, and the occasional berries.
What Are The Symptoms Of Poisoning?
Due to its bitter taste and burning sensation in the mouth..
..the plant is inedible and most animals avoid it.
It is however possible that cats and dogs may sample the plant if they are curious.
How To Protect Pet Owners From The Mother In Law’s Tongue Plant?
Although touching the snake plant is safe because the toxins only affect you when you eat them..
..the juice from the leaves might cause skin discomfort.
When repotting or touching the plant, it’s best to use gloves.
Because the Mother-in-Tongue Law’s is such a popular indoor plant..
..it’s best to keep it out of reach of small children and pets, preferably on a high shelf.
Remove any bitten leaves from your pet’s mouth and visit a veterinarian right away..
..if they have taken a bite from the plant.
In case of any poison-related emergency in animals..
..or if you’re unsure about the symptoms, it is advised to contact Animal Poison Control Center (APCC).
If the child or pet has ingested large amounts of poisonous plant material..
..the treatment may include flushing the mouth..
..inducing vomiting or pumping the stomach to empty its contents.
The blooming stems do not generate new leaves..
..but the plantlets can continue to grow thanks to the rhizomes and stolons.
This plant stands out among common house plants like the jade plant, peace lily, arrowhead..
..and weeping fig because of its dark green leaves with yellow, white, or gray stripes.
The Mother-in-Tongue Law’s Plant is a decorative indoor plant..
..that adds to the greenery of contemporary interiors and, as an added bonus..
..removes pollutants from the air we breathe.
Check out more of our posts like this one here!
I hope you can now take care your snake carefully and grow it big!
Thanks for reading this article! Bye!