Snake Plants Bites Mosquitos! (2021)

Do You Know What Is Saponin?

Saponin on snake plants is known to be poisonous. On the other hand, saponins have effects on the skin that protect it against UV damage and anti-irritation. Saponin also exists in legumes leaves such as soy, beans, and many other plants.

Saponin can also be used in the pharmaceutical industry to give a hormone of steroids. These active ingredients in plants may also be used in your soaps. Medically saponin is known to be antibacterial, antimicrobial, and anticancer.  However, it’s not as much as what you can find in snake plants or succulents. That’s why succulents are not something to eat. 

Are Snake Plants Poisonous Or Toxic Plant?

Some articles claim that the common snake plant is harmful to health. The article implied that the snake plant is toxic, causing a lot of panics. According to the article, keeping snake plants at home could lead to microorganism multiplication that could affect the health of certain groups.

The saponin plays a part in the toxicity of snake plants. Its antimicrobial effect on snake plants makes it obvious why the snake plants are unwanted by the bloodsucker insects such as mosquitos. Soil is the most important place for organisms to thrive. According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, snake plants are considered toxic for cats and dogs because they show no toxicity in humans.

The plant has saponins, which are used as natural pesticides. The saponins are toxic for living beings and can cause nausea and vomiting. Eczema is caused by the juices of the plant. People and animals are at risk of developing a severe allergic reaction if they chew or eat any of these plants. It can be fatal for your dog to consume a lot of the plant.

Which Part Of It Is Poisonous?

There are chemicals in the Mother-in-law’s tongue that can be poisonous. The plant has saponins, which are found in the whole plant. The snake plant has a toxic nature and should be avoided. The long upright leaves and stem of the plant are easy to get to. Snake plants can bloom and produce flowers that look like lilies. The blossom will produce fruit that is orange-red. It’s a good idea to avoid these flowers and fruits for consumption.

Symptoms of skin irritation can be caused by the juice of the plant leaves. Dogs are not likely to make skin contact with it if they have fur on their body.

Protect Your Pets From Harm

The liquid from the leaves can cause skin irritation if you touch it. It’s best to use gloves when handling plants. It is recommended to keep the Mother-in-law’s tongue out of the reach of small children and pets if it is on a high shelf.

Remove the leaves from your pet’s mouth if they have taken a bite from the plant. It is advisable to contact the Animal Poison Control Center if you are unsure about the symptoms of a poison emergency. If the child or pet has ingested large amounts of poisonous plant material, the treatment may include flushing the mouth, inducing vomiting, or pumping the stomach to empty its contents.

Certain plants are considered toxic or poisonous :

  • Philodendron Pothos Plants
  • Poinsettias Oleander Plant
  • Caladium

Sum Up!

Saponin on snake plants are toxic. The use of the saponin in the snake plants is to protect the plant from harmful micro-bacterial and a natural chemical to make the mosquitos and bugs away. However, on their lowest point of life snake plants are prone to be bitten by pests. So, keep your snake plants healthy!

More Related Articles

Was this helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!