In a matter of seconds, succulents can add authenticity to any room or place. Succulents are truly unique creatures with striking colors and shapes that justify their demand in the market for decoration purposes.
Why Succulents are just perfect for the Coffee Tables & Desks?
- For these plants to grow, they require little care and only a few drops of water. In case you live a busy life, this will serve as a huge convenience for you.
- The table and room will be more sophisticated and attractive with them.
- The air they clean is known to be polluted by toxic substances such as formaldehyde and benzene.
- Especially beneficial at night: They produce a lot of oxygen, which makes them truly unique.
- In recent studies it has been found that the presence of greenery indoors helps you to be happier and more focused.
Rather than give you the rundown on the best succulents to decorate a coffee table or work desk in your home, let’s jump right into the succulents themselves.
It was originally known as Sedum morangium.
It is a warm climate plant that thrives in drought conditions. Succulents grown in swamps have thick branches and long leaves, making them an ideal choice for that unique look. They make an excellent decorative plant, especially in outdoor pots.
- A white flower blooms on the sedum morangium plant in the summer and the plant is also known as donkey’s tail.
How to care for Burrow”s Tail:
- They do better with bright sunlight and should be watered when the soil is dry.
- As compared to other succulents, the plant drops its leaves quite easily, so do not be alarmed.
- Check how healthy they are, and make sure they do not have color patches. The leaves can be used to grow new plants.
- One or two times per month of watering is enough. You can collect excess water in a tray by filling the pot with drainage holes and cactus soil.
- Plants should be trimmed periodically to maintain their shape.
The botanical name of this species is Crassula ovata.
One of the reasons why jade plants are so popular is because they can be grown in an office or apartment quite easily. There is little maintenance required for them, and they are even considered good luck.
How to care for Jade Plant:
- Jade plants require only minimal care, except that they should not be overwatered. The roots of these plants are very susceptible to rot, so only water them when their potting soil feels dry.
- Ideally, jade plants should be kept in a room that receives just enough sunlight. Observe whether your plants are stretching as this indicates they require more sunlight.
Its scientific name is Lithops viridis.
Also known as: Pebble plants
The ornamental plant is native to South Africa, where it is widely grown.
- The leaves of the plant look like solid stones, thus their name living stone plant. They grow just a few inches long.
- A variety of colors and shapes are seen in lithops, which grow in clusters. Their flowers are yellow and white in the winter and look elegant.
How to care for Lithops:
- In the Lithops, water is stored and used efficiently because they are prone to extremely dry conditions. Make sure your soil mixture contains very little organic matter. You may want to mix coarse sand, volcanic rocks, perlite or other material that drains well. Use a 75:25 ratio for organic and inorganic matter.
- If you want your plants to remain dormant during the summer, then water them only infrequently. If you don’t water them during this time, you’ll need to water them more. Once autumn arrives, try increasing the frequency of watering and water only after the soil has been dry for some time.
- If you want to grow it, be sure not to avoid it during the winter as that’s when it’s growing the most. As these plants cannot handle cold well, doing that will stunt their growth and keep them in warmer temperatures until it’s time to water again in spring.
Hens and Chicks
Scientistically known as Sempervivum tectorum.
In addition to its distinct shape, they come in a variety of colors and are extremely short in size.
- The rosettes have a rosette shape, and it is best to place them on the coffee table of a room facing south or east that gets sufficient bright sunlight. The flowers are white and reddish and look stunning.
- The genus contains about 40 species, so there is a wide range to choose from.
You can grow them if you have a busy lifestyle as they are easy to kill, which makes them excellent for beginners. As with all succulents, they are resistant to being underwatered, but sensitive to being overwatered.
How to care for Hens and Chicks:
- The plant prefers cactus soil and requires only light watering.
- The plants prefer temperatures between 18 to 24 degrees Celcius. They do not tolerate extreme temperatures both upwards and downwards and go into a semi-dormant state.
- It’s important to plant them in a well-draining area so they will prosper.
- In the adjacent areas, they tend to produce daughters quite frequently. New ones should be removed periodically to prevent overcrowding.
The Parodia magnifica is a scientific name.
The succulents that grow in South America make the best cacti to grow in your home, especially if you’ve never grown a cactus before.
Plants mature in the summer and produce a variety of colors, including pink, yellow, and red.
Even though they are cacti, they dislike full sun and prefer to be kept indoors under indirect sunlight.
How to care for Ball Cactus:
They do well in a cactus soil mix and require normal watering like all succulents.
- If the soil feels dry, water the plant.
- In winter, reduce watering but do not allow long breaks of many weeks.
- The cacti need to be watered more frequently than other cacti varieties.
- The East-facing rooms are ideal for her because she loves the morning and afternoon sun.
Scientific Name: Echeveria harmsii
The plant has broad, green leaves with pink edges, and it produces orange flowers in summer.
- Pets are generally safe from them.
How to care for Plush Plant:
- It is best to grow plush plants in an area with bright sunlight throughout the day. Ideally, they should be placed on a coffee table in a sun-drenched room or balcony.
- A succulent that can tolerate temperatures from 1 to 10 degrees Celcius, it is one of the few that can do so. However, temperature exposure should be avoided if possible.
- In the summer, this plant grows vigorously, but in the winter it is totally dormant.
Scientific Name: Beaucarnea recurvata.
Also known as Elephant’s Foot.
The name may suggest it is a palm, but it belongs to the agave family of succulents. Their unique palm-like shape and pack of leaves on top give them the appearance of a palm, hence the name.
- Elephant foot is so named because it stores water at the base of the stem, resulting in its characteristic shape.
- It will definitely make any place appear stylish and distinguished.
- If grown outside, it can reach enormous heights; however, indoors, it may achieve a height of up to 4 feet if grown as a bonsai.
How to take Care of Ponytail Palm:
Ponytail Palms are easy to maintain.
- Branches should be pruned periodically; a good heavy trimming should be done before the growing season begins and minimal pruning should be done throughout the year.
- It prefers bright sunlight, and can tolerate both direct and indirect sunlight. Ideally, you should keep them in desks in south-facing or even east-facing rooms.
- Water only when the soil is dry, and then place them in a compact pot not too much larger than you need. If possible, fertilize once every two years.
The scientific name of this plant is Dracaena trifasciata.
Also known as: mother-in-law’s tongue.
These leaves grow in dense clusters and are several feet tall, giving them a distinctive appearance.
If snake plants receive some neglect, they can handle low light conditions fairly easily. Snake plants have been found to be one of the most effective air purifying plants. They remove toxins like benzene and formaldehyde from the air and provide fresh oxygen constantly.
- This plant is poisonous, so pets and children should not consume it.
How to care for Snake Plants:
- The best part about snake plants is that they are extremely considerate of sunlight requirements. If possible, place it in a room that receives bright light. They adapt well to dim light conditions as well.
- Growing them in a cactus mixture soil and watering them only when soil is dry is best.
- When watering, avoid watering the leaves and water the soil only. Avoid misting the leaves with a sprayer. Snake plants prefer to be soaked, not misted.
- Taking care of their basic needs allows this plant to thrive. That makes it an excellent choice for beginning gardeners.
Aloe vera scientific name
Most succulents are made of aloe vera, the most popular of which is probably the aloe vera plant. This plant has been grown indoors for thousands of years because of its striking looks, ability to grow under low light conditions, and medicinal properties.
- You can use aloe gel to soothe your skin and hair at any time by piercing a leaf and applying it directly to your skin. You can dilute it if it is extremely strong. Thousands of years ago, ancient civilizations used it to take care of their skin and hair.
- A natural makeup remover or moisturizer, you can use aloe gel on your skin.
- Has a tolerance for lower temperatures.
How to care for Aloe Vera:
- Aloe Vera does well in a brightly lit room, but can also tolerate low light conditions. Growing to just over 3 feet tall, this plant will make a perfect addition to your table.
- Water only when the soil is dry, so once every 5-10 days is sufficient.
- It’s pretty easy to care for aloe vera more or less and as long as you don’t overwater it, it will be fine.
String of Bananas
The scientific name for this plant is Senecio Radicans.
Plants like this look beautiful when placed on a coffee table or a desk.
Like most succulents, these are fast-growing, and the overflowing look of the leaves makes them very attractive.
- If the plant receives optimal light, it can produce beautiful flowers in the winter. This distinguishes them from other plants because they do not tolerate cold temperatures as bananas do.
How to care for a String of Bananas:
- In order to keep the plant in shape, you can trim the leaves periodically due to the rapid growth of the leaves. Trimming will also promote better growth.
- You should keep them on coffee tables near windows as they prefer bright indirect light.
- The String of Bananas love morning sun, so they thrive in eastern windows. It is important to provide at least four to six hours of bright light for these plants even in the home. Use grow lights if the plant shows signs of underexposure to the sun (stretching, stunted growth).
- Water the stem base only and avoid the leaves.
- The watering need is usual of most succulents. water only when soil is dry.
Scientific Name: Cotyledon Tomentosa
- A claw-like shape on the leaves gives this plant its name.
- Succulents are extremely adorable and look great on small coffee tables and desks.
- You should be cautious when touching leaves as they can easily fall off.
- Grows up to three feet tall and produces orange-colored flowers in the summer.
How to care for Bear Paws:
- Because it is very water-efficient, it requires less frequent watering during the growing season. Make sure the pot has drainage holes and only water when the soil is dry.
- For best results, place it in a room that receives proper light, whether it is full sun or indirect sun.
- Succulents are known for their soil requirements.
General Caring tips for all these Succulents
- If the soil seems extremely dry, water them only then. It is best to water them once every 7 to 10 days in summer and once every 15 to 21 days in Winter but the soil dampness will play a role here.
- If possible, make sure they receive some sunlight throughout the year. It’s fine to consider using artificial lights in the room if the coffee table area does not get much sunlight.
- The best soil to grow succulents is one with good drainage. It is essential to their survival. Cactus mix soil is excellent for drainage, which is why it is ideal for succulents. Homegrown succulent soil can be made by you.
- Succulents should be grown in pots that have drainage holes. In order to provide them with the best drainage facilities, you need to do this. Alternatively you can keep a tray and empty it later after watering. You can also grow them in pots without holes in that case consult this guide on watering succulents without drainage.
- Never water them after evening. Only in the morning. Because succulents dislike damp soil, watering them after the sun sets can damage them in the long run.
- If you have a growing succulent, you can multiply its number in the house by propagating it for free. Use sterile scissors to cut the stem or simply use healthy leaves and let them heal or calluse for a few days before replanting them in a new pot.
- Keep an eye out for signs of distress in your succulents. They are typically hardy plants that do well under low maintenance, but improper watering schedules or inadequate sunlight can cause problems.
It is possible to grow succulents indoors. Unique colors and features make it stand out. It has minimal needs. Also, you will have many options to choose from.
These 11 succulent plants were chosen for their sun requirements and attractive appearance. You can grow succulent plants indoors as well as enhance your coffee table with these succulents.
Which one of these 11 do you like best for decorating your home? Let me know in the comment section below!
There are still many recent and interesting articles about Snake Plants..
..as well as other unique information from All Things Gardener..
For further information and other inquiries..
..you can contact us here