A succulent is the ideal plant to grow in your dormitory since it is:
- Extremely low maintenance
- Tremendously Beginner-friendly
- Can instantly change the look of a place
- Highly adaptive in nature
Numerous studies have proven that living, studying, and working near green plants can improve your mood, concentration, and productivity significantly. Hence it would not be a bad idea but a great idea for people to have succulents in their dormitory.
There are several different types of succulents that are suitable for being grown in the dormitories.
South Africa was the country of origin
The zebra cactus may also be called the Pearl plant.
Key Points about Haworthia
- You can find it in many varieties such as Haworthia fasciata, haworthia attenuata, Haworthia cooperi, Haworthia limifolia, and many more.
- Very low maintenance and highly adaptive plant. Provide it with the basic needs of drainage friendly soil, position it where it gets moderate to low sunlight, and water it once in a while, and it will grow just fine.
- The growth habit of Haworthia fasciata and Haworthia attenuata is branched with long pointed leaves. It is extremely cute and looks great in small pots when it is in a mini variety like Haworthia cooperi.
Personal Take on Haworthia
You may be looking for low-light-friendly succulents to grow and Haworthia is just the right choice as these succulents even in their natural habitat grow under the shade of larger plants.
The scientific name of the plant is Dracaena trifasciata
Africa is the origin of the region
Additionally known as mother-in-law’s tongue
Key Points about Snake plants
- Succulents are known more or less for their appealing looks, but did you know they also purify the air? Various succulents can be considered to be ideal indoor plants since they help in removing harmful toxins from the air. It is beneficial for you and for the environment to have snake plants in your home.
According to NASA research, Snake plants can strongly detoxify formaldehyde, benzene, toluene, xylene, and trichloroethylene.
Key Points about Snake plants
- Succulents are known more or less for their appealing looks, but did you know they also purify the air? Several succulents are ideal indoor plants due to their ability to get rid of harmful toxins in the air. It is beneficial for you and for the environment to have snake plants in your home.
NASA research indicates that Snake plants can actively remove formaldehyde, benzene, toluene, xylene, and trichloroethylene from the air.
Personal Take on Snake Plants
In case you want to instantly change the look of your place, snake plants are just the perfect addition to your room. Their attractive appearance and easy-care properties make them ideal for dorm room use.
Mexico is the country of origin.
It is also known as the Burrow’s Tail
Key Points about Burrows tail
- This is a well-known succulent. Leaves on this plant look pulpy and can withstand moderate to low sunlight.
- Water the stems and soil only when the leaves are bulging, and steer clear of the bulging leaves. Plant leaves can retain moisture, which can attract pests and microbes.
- It can produce pinkish flowers in the summer if it gets enough sunlight.
- Keep your hands away from the leaves so they do not fall off due to touch or movement.
Personal Take on Burrow”s tail
Burrow’s tail succulent is one of my favorite succulents because of its soothing greenish hue and striking leaf arrangement. Hanging baskets look beautiful with their oval-shaped leaves! Plants can be grown in any manner, but hanging plants look spectacular and should be grown for the best possible result!
Brazil is the country of origin.
Key Points about Rhipsalis
- One of our most popular succulent plants is Rhipsalis, an excellent choice for hanging baskets!
- They require very little sunlight and are therefore ideal for dorm rooms.
- In addition to its unusual structure, the plant immediately catches attention. A Cactus plant has long very thin branches and their unique appearance comes from a Cactaceae family. Additionally, I find their bright green color quite soothing to the eyes.
- White flowers can be produced in time.
Personal Take on Rhipsalis
You can grow hippalis in hanging containers near the window, doorway, or even in the bathroom! There are very few succulents that can withstand moderate levels of moisture in the air, like Rhipsalis.
Mexico is the country of origin.
Also known as Lace Aloe
Key Points about Lace Aloe
- There are many varieties of succulents out there, but the Aloe is the most popular! The soothing look and medicinal properties of its leaves have made it an indoor plant for centuries.
- Despite its low light requirements, aloe thrives in conditions where most succulents cannot thrive. It is one of those plants that can grow well under neglect and just water it once in a while when the soil feels dry and it will be good to go.
- Lace Aloe’s leaves are speckled with small white dots, and they are an exceptionally fast-growing succulent. The edge of the leaf is quite a bit sharp.
- Wintertime is the time when Lace Aloe grows most vigorously.
Personal Take on Aloe aristata
You can hardly go wrong when growing Aloes. The reason for this is that they are plants with extremely low requirements, making them a great plant for beginners. If you are a succulent lover, Aloe plants look lovely on the desk or the window. These plants flourish if they receive their necessary watering.
Hens and chicks
The region of origin is Europe.
Also known as Houseleek
Key Points about Hens and chicks
- Hardy succulents like this are not hard to grow.
- Keeping hens and chicks inside adds a classy touch, and they are one of the best plants to grow for beginners.
- It is considered to be a mini succulent since they are only able to grow up to 15 to 20 inches tall. Hens and chicks can also withstand wide temperature ranges and are able to be grown in various climates.
Personal Take on Hens and chicks
Some consider hens and chicks to be the best plants that grow on neglect. There are many instances where these plants responded well to harsh environmental conditions like drought and frigid temperatures. One of the easiest ways to kill this succulent is to give it too much love and water it more than is necessary.
Crassula ovata is the scientific name.
The southern area of Africa is the place of origin.
Also known as Money plants
Key Points about Jade plants
- The coin-shaped leaves of the plant have earned it the nickname of the money plant, and it has been used as a sign of wealth and prosperity for centuries. It is therefore cultivated in both the home and the office.
- Growing these plants in the dormitory is just perfect as they are aesthetically pleasing and at the same time, require little maintenance. Make sure to place them next to a window that gets ample sun as succulents thrive on multiple hours of bright indirect light, otherwise they can become leggy.
- Plants with Jade flowers need more frequent watering than plants with other succulents, but you also must be very careful not to overwater them as there is a high risk of root rot with Jade plants. The period of time to water them depends on the weather and the amount of soil in the soil.
- Jade plants are slow growers and may take some time to grow, so do not get stressed out about it.
Personal Take on Jade plants
Jade plants have a long lifespan, grow up slowly, and are quite beginner-friendly. Additionally, their tree-like structure makes them a nice addition to the room.
There are still many recent and interesting articles about Snake Plants..
..as well as other unique information from All Things Gardener..
For further information and other inquiries..
..you can contact us here