The snake plant is an evergreen perennial plant. It belongs to the Asparagaceae family and has a botanical name of Sansevieria trifasciata. Various benefits of the snake plant will be discussed today.
Why do Snake plants have so many benefits? The leaves contains chemicals like formaldehyde, xylene, toluene, and benzene that causes cancer when breathed through them. Carbon dioxide is converted into oxygen by the plant at night and it is one of the most oxygen-producing plants.
Snake plant is a perennial evergreen plant belonging to the Asparagaceae family. Its scientific name is Sansevieria trifasciata. Let’s talk about some of snake plant’s benefits today.
Why is Snake plant so beneficial? Its leaves absorb air pollutants and cancer-causing agents like formaldehyde, xylene, toluene, benzene through the air that we breathe. During the night, it converts carbon dioxide into oxygen, making it one of the most oxygen-producing plants.
Moreover, the Snake plant adds aesthetic beauty to homes, offices, hotels, and hospitals. The low light requirements, low maintenance, and small area required to grow make this plant very attractive as home decor.
15 Benefits of snake plant:
- The air we breath is purified by removing impurities.
- Increase the quality of the air in the home
- Oxygen generating indoor plants
- Oxygen is released at night.
- Carbon dioxide (CO2) is uptaken during the night, whereas other plants release carbon dioxide during the night.
- Convert the carbon dioxide at night into oxygen
- Absorbs pollutants in the air, including formaldehyde, xylene, toluene, and oxides of nitrogen.
- Reduce the airborne allergens
- Sick building syndrome (SBS) is treated with snake plant.
- It is used both indoors and outdoors as a houseplant or ornamental plant.
- Also, it can be used to manufacture cloth, rope, and bowstrings since the fiber is used as a source of plant fiber.
- A beautiful home décor can be achieved using it
- The snake plant has low maintenance requirements and is easy to grow.
- Water is not as important when it is shaded.
- Snake plant, or Sansevieria, grows very quickly in small spaces.
- Indoors, it’s very easy to grow.
More about Snake plant
The plant is also known as the Snake plant, Saint George’s sword, Mother-in-law’s tongue, and Viper’s bowstring hemp.
Known by their specific leaves and their shapes, sizes, and textures.
Across tropical West Africa, Madagascar, and Southern Asia, snake plants are native to the Sansevieria family.
In today’s world, it is grown almost everywhere.
Those leaves tend to be stiff and broad, growing vertically from the bottom of the stem. The leaves are dark green in color.
A variety’s leaves can be different colors and shapes, for example, some might be dark green, while other might be light green.
Banded with cream white/gold, some are fashioned like swords, others cylindrical shaped, and others with cross bands.
Leaves of snake plants have a range of heights and widths of 70-90 cm under optimal conditions.
Does Snake Plant bloom? – Yes, Snake Plant bloom is a very rare phenomenon.
This plant blooms rarely. It appears on plants that are several years old. Snake plants don’t bloom until they’re really old, best climatic conditions must be met.
Sometimes Sansevieria or Snake plant flowers are white or cream-colored.
What is the easiest way to grow the snake plant? Leaf-cutting is the easiest and most common way to propagate this snake plant.
Cut leaves are kept in a water pot for a few weeks. Watch for root growth before planting. The water should be changed every week to prevent root rot disease.
After root formation cutting leaves are transferred to sand or peat moss. You can directly propagate these cuttings to pot having loose and well-drained soil.
How long does a Snake Plant Live? A snake plant lives about 3 to 5 years.
Snake plants can survive for years with proper care. Some species can last as long as 20-25 years. You just have to be careful and tender with these plants for the longer sustainability.
How many snake plant species exist throughout the world? There are over 70 snake plants on the planet, most of which look alike.
A snake plant can be recognized by its leaf color, shape, and physical structure, such as:
Why is the snake plant called mother in law’s tongue? Because of its sharply pointed leaves, it is called mother-in-law’s tongue.
The leaves are narrow, 2.5-7 cm wide with 90 cm tall, and are a pale green to whitish green color with yellowing color margin.
Twisted sister :
These are low-growing Sansevierias, growing 30 cm tall. They have yellow and green leaves with twisted edges.
This snake plant variety resembles a nest of birds at the base. It is easily distinguished from other snake plant varieties.
Robusta snake ornamental plant:
Cross banding and mottling are seen on the dark green leaves, making them shorter and wider than on the leaves of other snake plants.
It has strong immunity power that can withstand harsh environmental conditions. It can easily survive the hottest summer and the freezing cold.
Cylindrical snake plant:
Dark green leaves store water in their leaves, which are round and cylindrical in shape. The leaves grow up to 3 cm in diameter and grow up to 75 cm tall from the base portion.
Due to its succulent nature, it contains the ability to adapt to adverse growing conditions.
As well as full sun, it can grow well in the shade. The snake plant prefers temperatures between 10°C and 38°C.
As long as the snake plant is not kept constantly moist/frosted, it will thrive. It thrives best when exposed to indirect sunlight.
Snake plant prefers dry, sandy and sandy loam soil, as well as a pH of 6-7.5.
Why sansevieria is called a snake plant?
The Sansevieria plant is called a snake plant because of its stiff leaves, which resemble snakes in a standing position.
Is snake plant good at home?
Your home will benefit greatly from the Snake plant.
The lack of proper airflow in the room causes indoor air pollution which is responsible for some health problems such as asthma and sick building syndrome.
In your bedroom, your living-room, the center of the dining table, the kitchen, your bathroom, or a room with air-sealed doors, you should keep the snake plant.
It will provide you with much-needed oxygen at night, as well as purify the air by absorbing air pollutants.
Why Snake plant is considered beneficial for us?
- Snake plants control the production of carbon dioxide and give you quality sleep at night by producing oxygen.
Make sure to keep some snake plants by your bed.
- During cooking, some toxic gasses are released from cookware, like a microwave oven and stove, the snake plant is capable of absorbing these toxic gaseous and filtering the air.
- There are many pollutants that are getting into the air, making indoor air less fresh and polluted. You can grow snake plants to reduce the concentration of these pollutants in the air.
What Experts say About Snake plant?
According to the NASA clean air study, at least fifteen to eighteen medium to large size plants are necessary for an 1800 square foot area to remove toxic chemicals in an airtight room.
Health benefits of Snake plant:
The snake plant has a correlation between human health and the plant.
In enclosed areas with little air movement, snake plants are capable of absorbing toxins in the air.
The snake plant can be beneficial to everyone in the following way:
- You can breathe filtered air anywhere in your home, office or anywhere else. The snake plant purifies the air by absorbing air pollutants.
- Feeling less stressed and increasing concentration for work will be easier if the airflow around you is increased in your home or office.
- Release moisture into the atmosphere and protect human health from airborne allergies while combating sick building syndrome (SBS). Poor indoor air quality contributes to SBS.
- Being proactive makes men energetic, lessens headaches, and makes a man calm when things get tough.
- You can protect yourself from cancer-causing compounds like benzene, toluene, formaldehyde by cultivating snake plants.
Does the Snake plant bring good luck?
Snake plants are actually considered a lucky plant in some contexts. They are known as the good luck plants.
Good luck and the snake plant have a very strong connection. Absorbing the poisonous gases from the air, releasing oxygen during the night, and keeping us healthy is really good luck, isn’t it?
There are several reasons why snake plants are considered good luck plants.
It is believed by the Chinese that these plants have the ability to enable the eight virtues (prosperity, longevity, beauty, intelligence, health, art, strength, and poetry) upon them when they choose to place them near the entrance of their house.
Is Snake plant dangerous?
Although this plant is generally considered relatively safe, if it is consumed at excessive amounts, it can be harmful.
Pet animals, dogs, cats, and children cannot consume the leaves of the snake plant without the leaves being harmful to their digestive systems.
Snake plants are especially toxic to dogs and cats if they eat their leaves. They can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Keep the plant and its roots away from children and pets during placement at home.
Are snakes attracted to the snake plant? The snake plant will not attract a snake. You can easily place it in your home without feeling anxious. The flower has a nice fragrance on the other hand.
Which of the benefits of Snake plant is your favorite? How many of these plants do you have in your garden? Please write your opinion about this topic in the comment section below.
There are still many recent and interesting articles about Snake Plants..
..as well as other unique information from All Things Gardener..
For further information and other inquiries..
..you can contact us here