How Toxic Is Snake Plant To Cats? A Life-Saving Guide For Pet Parents (2021)

How toxic is snake plant to cats? Plants can bring a room to life, and that’s likely what you’re thinking about when you buy them. But if you’re a pet parent, it’s important to double-check whether an indoor plant is toxic before bringing it into your home or if these toxic plants are already in your home. In minor cases, plants toxic to cats can cause gastro upset or skin irritation, but in serious cases, it can lead to organ failure, seizures, or even death. 

Is The Snake Plant Toxic?

Evergreen Snake plants (Sansevieria Trifasciata) purify the air around our homes. This plant has impressive foliage and is very easy to maintain, making it an excellent choice for indoor or outdoor use. There is usually no toxicity in snake plants for humans.

Even so, that doesn’t mean they will not affect our pet animals. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) says snake plants are poisonous to cats and dogs. The plant contains a toxic chemical called Saponin that can cause distressing reactions. The toxicity is mild to moderate for animals, such as kittens, puppies, dogs, and cats. Snake plants can be toxic to animals whenever they consume any part of them.

Aside from snake plants’ mild toxicity, their overall fatality rate is relatively low across the board. Moreover, consumed snake plants are less likely to cause life-threatening intoxication. The taste of this plant is bitter, making it somewhat unpalatable. Your cat will probably leave the plant alone and look for better food elsewhere. The plant is extremely unlikely to be harmful to your pet unless he eats a stupendous amount of it. Fortunately, gastrointestinal reactions in cats are usually mild to moderate, and they are unlikely to become life-threatening.

Which Parts Of Snake Plants Are Poisonous?

Saponins and organic acids are found in the tongue of my mother-in-law, which are mildly poisonous. All parts of the plant contain saponin. As a result, all parts of the snake plant should be avoided due to their toxicity. The plant’s long, upright leaves and stems contain saponin, which is easy to reach. Rarely, snake plants produce fragrant greenish-white flowers resembling lilies. It will eventually produce orange-red berries. The flowers and fruits are also poisonous, and should not be eaten. How toxic is snake plant to cats? Leaf juice or sap can cause mild skin irritation. It is unlikely that cats would come in contact with it due to their furry bodies.

Will A Snake Plant Kill My Cat?

Snake plants pose a low risk of causing life-threatening poisoning to your pet, as the toxicity level is very low. The toxins are not very strong and they usually only cause stomach upset when consumed. However, if your cat consumed a high concentration of toxins, it could be dangerous. Even so, it’s very unlikely, as I mentioned earlier. The key is to seek medical attention immediately.

If your cat is diagnosed and treated early, there is a good chance that he will recover in a couple of days. You don’t have to worry about a snake plant killing your cat. Nevertheless, you should bring your pet to the vet if you see any signs of illness. It’s always better to be safe and visit the vet even if your cat hasn’t shown any symptoms (listed below) yet after eating the plant.

The Symptoms

The bitter taste of snake plants combined with a burning sensation in the mouth, makes the plant inedible. Cats, however, could be curious about tasting the plant. The pet will start showing some common symptoms after consuming any part of the plant. As the plant is highly indigestible, most of the symptoms are linked to the digestive system. Despite the relatively low severity of snake plant poisoning, you should watch for these symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Nausea
  • Depression
  • Diarrhea
  • Excessive drooling
  • Abdominal pain or discomfort
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Swelling of organs such as tongue, mouth, lips, throat

You should take your cat to the veterinarian immediately if any of the above symptoms appear. You should make sure your cat didn’t eat the plant, even if you are certain it didn’t. Besides being common signs of poisoning, they can also be caused by a variety of different factors.

First Aid

Make sure that your cat doesn’t eat the snake plant again once you know it has eaten it. Take out any visible pieces of leaves in your cat’s mouth and teeth. If you notice any signs of poisoning in your pet, contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. For some reason, if you cannot reach any of these, local human poison control centers may be able to help.

Take a leaf sample with you to the vet so your vet can identify the snake plant your cat ate. Check the quantity of plant your cat consumed, and remember when the consumption occurred if you know it. even though you are worried because you know how toxic is snake plant to cats, you shouldn’t induce your cat to vomit unless your vet says so. There are some traditional home remedies that can be harmful to cats. To prevent dehydration resulting from diarrhea, ensure your cat drinks plenty of water. 

More Related Articles

Was this helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!