10 Different Types of Planters
It is possible to grow plants in pots and planters on a patio or a kitchen shelf that is out of reach without a raised bed, for example. Containers are available in several different materials and have their own distinct qualities. Stay tuned for helpful information on how to choose the right container for your planting project.
One of the most popular indoor pots and planters is ceramic. They are kiln-baked, made of clay, and specially glazed for a final shiny appearance. Here are some benefits and drawbacks of ceramic pots.
- Ceramic pots and planters have excellent porosity, which permits air and water to pass through them to the roots of the plants.
- Their heavy weight allows them to support large growing foliage without easily shattering or falling over. They are not easily moved by the wind.
- It helps the plants resist extreme temperatures. During summer, it prevents excessive heat from entering, as well as locking in moisture.
- They are often hollow at the bottom with just one open area, which results in inadequate drainage for most foliage and undergrowth. If your pots are made of clay, there will be a chance that they will break or become damage prone. Therefore, you might drill holes in them to solve the problem.
- This can cause your plants’ appearance to be ruined when they crack and chip in cold weather.
- The curved shape of these planters makes it difficult to repot and change the soil in the plant.
Plastic pots come in a variety of colors, designs, textures, shapes, and plastic materials. They hold potting soil, and that’s all plants need. This is a guide to the pros and cons of plastic pots.
- It is less likely that plastic pots will break or chip and crack because they are made from durable and flexible material. In addition, temperatures vary little with plastic pots, so they are less susceptible to breakage.
- In case of any damage, they are easily replaceable and therefore cost-effective.
- It is easy to move them around because they are lightweight.
- There is a wide variety of option. This makes it easy for you to find the one that fits your décor.
- Among the disadvantages of plastic pots and planters is that they are not very permeable, which makes water circulation ineffective. You should dig holes and install drainers for proper drainage to prevent trapped water and excessive moisture from damaging the foliage and roots.
If you are looking for a way to save money without sacrificing quality, wooden planters are the right choice for you. Wooden planters are made from a variety of materials, including rot-resistant hardwood, cedar, pressure-treated wood, etc.
- You can be as creative as you want with wooden pots. They are easy to paint so you can create any color, pattern, and texture to match any overall décor you have.
- Planters made of glass and ceramic are easier to transport than those made of plastic, but they are still a good option if you want to move your planters regularly.
- Compared to ceramic pots, these planters are relatively easy to drill holes in because they are made of wood. This allows for efficient drainage.
- Plants rely on them to protect them from extreme weather conditions. For example, during summers, wooden pots don’t absorb the excessive heat of the sun, so their roots are protected.
- There are very few shapes available in wood, so you’re not going to find what you’re looking for if you want curved structures.
- Wooden pots outdoors can rot and get spoiled from the sun, moisture, and frost.
- As woodlice and ants feed on wood, these pots can be ruined by those destructive insects.
- Proper maintenance is required, such as paint, drainers, and protection against moisture.
It would appear that concrete pots are made of concrete. Concrete is filled into molds made to resemble planters and then dried completely. Once the pot is ready, it is removed from the mold. Here are some pros and cons of concrete pots.
- In addition to being durable and long lasting, concrete pots also last several years.
- The designs, colors, and patterns vary, and there is a wide range of choice.
- A good quality concrete pot has its color additives mixed by hand, rather than just being painted on the outside. Therefore, in case, a chip appears on the surface, it will be almost impossible to notice because all the layers will look the same.
- This pot is considered environmentally friendly.
- Their resistance to extreme temperatures, as well as their ability to protect foliage from heat, makes them a vital part of plant ecosystems.
- These pots are very heavy, making them difficult to move often. Furthermore, when they are dropped, they may break.
- Before planting your seeds in these pots, you should leave them outside in the rain to allow the dyes to deplete the pH level of the soil, which may damage your plants.
- Keeping these pots inside is recommended if the temperatures are below freezing, as they are more prone to cracking and breaking.
Nursery pots are made of plastic and come in different shapes and sizes. There are 3 grades of nursery pots:
Premium grade – Expensive, with big healthy plants.
Regular grade – Average cost, with normal quality plants.
Landscape grade – Cheap, with low-quality plants.
Following are the pros and cons of nursery pots:
- Despite being flexible and strong, these pots are not easily damaged by extreme temperatures. They can withstand severe impact.
- Because they are inexpensive, even if they are damaged they are easily replaceable.
- Due to their light weight, they are easily portable and can be carried around.
Nursery pots are not very porous, so their drainage system must be properly configured. You must create holes in them or offer drainers to make sure excess water doesn’t get trapped in them and spoil the plants.
Garden Planter Urns
This type of planter is more of an ornamental planter that adds to the decor of your garden. Urns come in a variety of sizes, patterns, shapes, and colors. Material is a major consideration when choosing an urn. Following are some of the benefits and drawbacks associated with each kind of urn:
Plastic garden planter urns are lightweight, so you can move them easily. They are also cheap, so the quality is compromised, so they tend to crack and break easily.
As pests consume wood, these urns are susceptible to rotting and damage. Good quality wood is durable, long-lasting, and can resist harsh temperatures. They are not far to carry.
The glossy appearance of ceramic planters urns comes from their glaze. They can support heavy growing plants due to their weight. However, if you wish to move them often, it might not be feasible as they break and crack easily.
In addition to being durable and eco-friendly, concrete garden planter urns also last for decades. However, unlike ceramic ones, they cannot be moved easily, so it is recommended to choose the perfect spot before installing them.
Window boxes are narrow, long boxes placed on the exterior of a window. They are used to display flowers and foliage, to attract birds and butterflies, and even to attract birds and butterflies. Here are some pros and cons:
- It’s possible to observe the boxes even while they’re on the outside, and you can solve any problems from inside.
- The installation process, as well as the uninstallation process, is relatively straightforward.
- Custom-made window sill accessories allow you to choose the style, size, and design that works best for your window.
- There is a possibility that they prevent sunlight from reaching indoors.
- When your windows aren’t open, watering and maintaining them can be a challenge.
- If you spray insecticides and water them, the rails and ledges of windows may become stained or rot.
A wall planter is a plant that you hang on the wall to create a vertical garden. Although they require minimal space, they also have some disadvantages. Here are some pros and cons of wall planters:
- Wall planters are an affordable way to enhance the decor of a small space. They make for exquisite art.
- It can be displayed in an organized manner, and it does not create any clutter. It is the perfect choice for people who are into minimalism.
- It is easy to clean and maintain them.
- They clear up the toxicity from indoor air.
- They can be used to grow only limited varieties of plants due to their size. Since they are small, plants cannot spread out as much in them.
- Growing plants out of the planters can result in a mess. Dirt will cling to your walls, staining them.
- Watering them can be difficult since there is not much space.
Vertical Planting Towers
These towers usually grow plants hydroponically, meaning without soil. They can use sand, liquid, gravel, or other materials to grow plants over a horizontal or vertical distance. Here are some advantages and disadvantages of vertical planting towers:
- Using a vertical planting tower and hydroponics, plants do not necessarily need a growing season. They can thrive all year round.
- There is about a 20-fold reduction in water usage compared to typical gardening and farming.
- Pesticides and diseases are not necessary, as the environment has already been controlled, making it easier to maintain plants.
- Vertical planting towers are very expensive to set up at first.
- After installation, traditional knowledge of plants may not be enough to maintain the plants in these towers. Specialized equipment and technical knowledge may be needed to maintain the growing foliage on these towers.
They add beauty and charm to any home or garden and are ideal for small plants. Here are the pros and cons of hanging baskets:
- Because the planter is hung at a greater level and out of the reach of the animals, it’s protected from any pets or other domestic pets.
- It is best to use these in confined spaces in order to prevent clutter around your gardening area.
- As they contain only small plants, and are lightweight, you can move them around whenever you like.
- In case of damage, they are not that expensive so they can be easily replaced.
- Small baskets have a limited space, so only plants of a certain size can be grown in them since they do not allow for larger plants to spread out.
- It’s difficult to water them with limited space without staining your walls.