Wait, the snake plant disadvantages? Yes, you hear it right. There are still a few disadvantages of growing a snake plant despite its many wonderful benefits. Let’s find a way to minimize those problems.
Disadvantages Of Snake Plants
For beginners, a snake plant (Sansevieria Trifasciata) makes an excellent choice because it requires little effort on their part. The tropical and hardy plants are popular additions to many households. They are stunning with their upright, sword-shaped leaves, as well as their evergreen foliage. Many snake plants are found in homes and offices because they can thrive in low light. Night-time photosynthesis in these lucky plants produces oxygen as well as absorbing some pollutants. However, growing snake plants at home is not without its disadvantages.
Easy To Overwater
Another snake plant disadvantages is overwatering. Snake plants are drought-tolerant, so they can survive without much water. A little neglect can be beneficial to them. Snake plants do not like sitting in soggy or wet soil. The result is rotting roots that look dark and stinky. Yellowing and mushy leaves can cause the plant to droop. It is impossible to save the plant when its entire root system mushs up.
It depends on the season and place where you put the snake plant on how much and how often you water it. To make matters worse, there are many factors (low temperature, little sunlight, dense soil, large containers, etc.) that allow overwatering. To avoid overwatering, choose a soil that drains well and choose pots with holes for drainage. The plant must be watered periodically during the growing season, but only when the soil has become dry on top. During the winter and fall, reduce watering to once every month. Watch your plant for overwatering symptoms and adjust the watering schedule if necessary.
Toxic For Humans And Pets
A common issue with Sansevieria is their toxicity. Ingesting or chewing on mother in law’s tongue plants can result in poisoning. This may not be a big deal if all the people in your house are adults. However, you may be slightly concerned about keeping snake plants around kids and pets.
This plant contains a toxic chemical called saponin, which is present in all its parts, including leaves, roots and flowers. The plant benefits from saponin because it is a natural insecticide and fungicide. Several parts of the world even utilize snake plant juice as a natural remedy due to this. The plant, however, should not be eaten in any form.
There are mostly gastrointestinal issues associated with the plant’s poison. It can cause swelling of the tongue and throat due to its numbing effect. If you eat too much, you may experience nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, drooling, abdominal pain, etc. Some people may experience rashes or dermatitis after touching the juice with their bare hands. Dogs and cats are more likely to be poisoned by snake plants than humans. Although curious pets may consume small amounts of the plant, its bitter taste may deter them from eating large amounts. Poisoning has similar symptoms in pets (e.g., vomiting, diarrhea).
How to fix the snake plant disadvantages? Children and pets can be hurt by your plants, so you need to keep them away from them at all times. Make sure they are on top shelves or in areas where pets aren’t allowed. To create a pet repellent scent, rub lemon or orange zest along the pot rims. Citrus is one of the few smells dogs and cats dislike. To make the soil even better, sprinkle a little cinnamon on it. Your plants will benefit from it as well, as it repels the pets as well as acts as a fungicide.